New York regulators seek comments by July 23 regarding proposed 345-kV generator lead

The New York State Public Service Commission on May 21 said that it is requesting comments by July 23 on North Bergen Liberty Generating, LLC’s (NBLG) request for certain waivers concerning the company’s proposal to build a 345-kV transmission generator lead and associated equipment.

According to the commission’s May 21 notice seeking comments, NBLG, which is an authorized agent for Cross Hudson, LLC, on April 2 filed for an amendment of a certificate of environmental compatibility and public need that the commission issued in April 2003 in Case 01-T-1474 and was amended in October 2004.

NBLG proposes to build the approximately 9.6-mile, submarine and underground, double-circuit transmission generator lead and associated equipment extending from its proposed generation facility in North Bergen, N.J., to Consolidated Edison Company of New York’s (Con Edison) substation at West 49th Street in Manhattan.

The notice added that about 3.42 miles of the generator lead would run within the New York portion of the Hudson River and .40 miles would run underground in Manhattan.

The notice said that NBLG, in a motion that was also filed on April 2, requested a waiver of certain regulations governing the content of its Article VII application. For instance, the commission added, NBLG seeks a waiver of:

  • Regulations that require the submission of certain information from New York State Department of Transportation (DOT) maps with a scale of 1:250,000. NBLG seeks to use National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) navigational charts for the submarine portion of the route instead of DOT maps. NBLG proposes to use maps showing a one-mile area on either side of the proposed facility instead of the five-mile area required by the regulations. NBLG proposes that, with respect to depicting known archeological, geologic, historical or scenic area, park or untouched wilderness, the radius be reduced from a three-mile corridor around the underground route to about 1,000 feet on DOT topographic maps. In showing the relationship of the proposed facility to NBLG’s overall system, NBLG proposes to use DOT maps at a scale of 1:24,000 rather than 1:250,000
  • The requirement to submit architectural drawings and descriptions showing a profile of the centerline of the ROW at exaggerated vertical scale and proposes to submit engineering drawings showing the design of the project, including a cross section of the generator lead installation
  • A section that requires submission of a detailed estimate of the total capital costs of the proposed facilities broken down into nine different areas. NBLG proposes instead to submit an overall cost estimate for the project
  • Of the requirement to submit a system reliability impact study with its application and proposes to submit such a study as soon as possible

As noted in NBLG’s petition, NBLG is managed by, and 85% owned by, DGC Liberty, LLC, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Diamond Generating Corporation; the remaining 15% of the ownership interests in NBLG are held by North Bergen Holdings, LLC.

NBLG noted that the generator lead would link the proposed approximately 1,200-MW North Bergen Liberty generating station, located in North Bergen to Con Edison’s West 49th substation in New York City. The proposed NBLG station would be connected to the New York electric grid through the generator lead, which would traverse through North Bergen, Fairview, Cliffside Park, and Edgewater in New Jersey, run within the Hudson River as submarine cables with a target burial depth of 15 feet below present bottom with a separation of about 100 feet, to a landfall at a mostly undeveloped portion of the Hudson River Park Trust’s Clinton Cove Park.

NBLG added that horizontal direction drill techniques would be used to bring the cables ashore. The upland cables would then proceed south within the bike path along Route 9A, and then cross 12th Avenue – also known as Route 9A or the West Side Highway – to the substation, NBLG said.

Discussing the project’s need, NBLG said that there is a need for replacement power in the New York City area (New York ISO Zone J) with the impending retirement of Indian Point. The project would also provide economic benefits to the area, as well as potentially displace older and less efficient power plants within the city, according to NBLG.

About Corina Rivera-Linares 3065 Articles
Corina Rivera-Linares, chief editor for TransmissionHub, has covered the U.S. power industry for the past 15 years. Before joining TransmissionHub, Corina covered renewable energy and environmental issues, as well as transmission, generation, regulation, legislation and ISO/RTO matters at SNL Financial. She has also covered such topics as health, politics, and education for weekly newspapers and national magazines. She can be reached at clinares@endeavorb2b.com.