Solar Frontier seeks FERC nod on sale of 30-MW solar project to Dominion

A project company, 96WI 8ME LLC (also called “Midway II”), on Dec. 2 sought Federal Energy Regulatory Commission authorization for a disposition of 100% of the membership interests in the applicant, which is currently wholly owned by Solar Frontier Americas Holding LLC, to Dominion Solar Holdings IV LLC.

Midway II is developing a 30-MW (ac) (nameplate) solar facility and related generation interconnection facilities to be located in Imperial County, California. On Nov. 10, Midway II filed an application for authorization to make sales of energy, capacity, and ancillary services at market-based rates and a market-based rate tariff proposing an effective date of Jan. 1, 2016.

The facility will be interconnected to the transmission system owned and operated by the Imperial Irrigation District (IID). All the electric energy and capacity from the facility will be sold under a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA) to IID with a term of more than one year. Midway II has filed a notice of self-certification as an exempt wholesale generator (EWG).

Midway II is wholly owned by Solar Frontier Americas Holding, which is wholly owned by Solar Frontier Americas Inc. Solar Frontier Americas, through its subsidiaries, develops and builds solar energy projects in the U.S. It is wholly owned by Solar Frontier K.K., a Japanese company engaged in the manufacture and sale of CIS thin-film solar panels.

Dominion Solar Projects C Inc. owns 99% of the equity interests of the planned project purchaser, and Dominion Solar Projects D Inc. owns the remaining 1%. Each of Dominion Solar Projects C and Dominion Solar Projects D are direct, wholly owned subsidiaries of Dominion Energy Inc., which is part of Dominion Resources (NYSE: D).

Upon closing of the transaction, the applicant will be affiliated with Imperial Valley Solar Co. 2, LLC. IVSC 2 has market-based rate authority and owns and operates a 20-MW solar photovoltaic Qualifying Facility located in Niland, California. IVSC 2 sells all of the output of the IVSC 2 facility to IID pursuant to a long-term, firm PPA that expires in 2045.

A company contact is: Latasha Terry, Legal Counsel, Solar Frontier Americas Development LLC, 50 California Street, Suite 820, San Francisco, CA 94111, (415) 814-5258, latasha.terry@solar-frontier.com.

Incidentally, 96WI 8ME LLC told FERC in its Nov. 10 petition for authorization to make market-based sales that in addition to Midway II, Solar Frontier Americas controls 83WI 8me LLC (“Midway I”). This second project company is developing a 50-MW (ac) (nameplate) solar facility. Midway I will be interconnected to the transmission system of IID and all the electric energy and capacity will be sold to Pacific Gas and Electric under a long-term PPA. The Midway II and Midway I facilities are both projected to commence commercial operations in the first quarter of 2017. 

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.