ENMAX Generation Portfolio Inc. (EGPI), a subsidiary of ENMAX Energy Corp., on Dec. 5 applied at the Alberta Utilities Commission for approval to construct up to a 200-MW wind farm southeast of Taber, Alberta.
EGPI is submitting this Phase I buildable area application to the AUC for approval for the Zephyr wind farm, providing details on proposed turbine layouts and the project buildable area boundary. EGPI will submit a Phase II facility application to the AUC for approval once the final selection of wind turbines and the final engineering design including final turbine layouts are completed and the results of EGPI’s continued environmental studies and public engagement programs are available. EGPI anticipates this Phase II application to be submitted by the second quarter of 2017.
EGPI’s project buildable area encompasses privately-owned agricultural lands with oil and gas developments. EGPI selected the project boundary taking into account wind speed, land availability, environmental suitability, and current setbacks and possible constraints in order to identify potential turbine locations.
The Zephyr wind farm would consist of 50–70 turbines, depending on final turbine selection, with hub heights of 90–135 meters. EGPI is also proposing to construct a new collector system to gather energy generated by the turbines, which would flow to a new substation. EGPI is proposing an In-Service date in December 2019.
The wind turbine model(s) proposed for the project have yet to be selected. Models being considered generate 3.2 MW to 4.2 MW, have a rotor diameter between 115 meters to 141 meters, and total height between 179.5 meters to 229.5 meters (inclusive of rotor diameter).
The project schedule at this point is:
- August-November 2016 – Phase One Stakeholder Engagement
- Q4 2016 – Phase I Buildable Application submitted to AUC for approval
- Q1 2017 – Anticipated commencement of Renewable Energy Program (REP) selection process
- Q2 2017 – Stakeholder engagement on final project details
- Q2 2017 – Phase II Facility Application submitted to AUC for approval
- Q2 2018 – Anticipated AUC Decision
- Q2 2018 – Construction start date (if approvals in place)
- Q4 2019 – Zephyr In-Service Date
A project contact is: Grant Weismiller, ENMAX Corp. Vice President, Regulatory Applications, (403) 514-3105, firstname.lastname@example.org.