The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on Nov. 22 granted an Aug. 15 application from the Western Minnesota Municipal Power Agency for a preliminary permit to study for up to three years the feasibility of the proposed Coon Rapids Hydroelectric Project, to be located on the Mississippi River at River Mile 866.2, about 11.5 miles north of downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The 12-MW project would consist of:
- an existing reservoir with a surface area of 600 square miles at normal pool elevation of 830.1 National Geodetic Vertical Datum with no storage capacity;
- the existing 1,455-foot-long, 30.8-foot-high Coon Rapids Dam with nine intermediate piers and ten spans with crest gates;
- an array of micro-turbines placed in front of two cast in place powerhouses;
- a 97-foot-long, 18-foot-wide, 19-foot-high reinforced concrete powerhouse located immediately downstream of the span 9 spillway section and a 103-foot-long, 18-foot-wide, 19-foot-high reinforced concrete powerhouse located immediately downstream of the span 10 spillway section with each powerhouse divided in half resulting in four bays in which the micro-turbines would be installed;
- two crane rails spanning the length of each powerhouse to remove the micro-turbine units for maintenance and lower them in place for generation;
- a tailrace made of steel draft tubes discharging directly into the Mississippi River;
- a third powerhouse 60-foot-wide by 80-foot-long containing the controls for the dam’s crest gates and necessary electrical and mechanical equipment to support the micro-turbines; and
- a 550-foot-long, 13.8 kV underground transmission line connecting to an Xcel Energy substation.
The estimated annual generation of the proposed Coon Rapids Project would be 62,790 megawatt-hours.
During the course of the three-year permit, the commission expects that the permittee will carry out prefiling consultation and study development leading to the possible development of a license application.
The applicant contact is: Raymond J. Wahle P.E., Missouri River Energy Services, 3724 W. Avera Drive, P.O. Box 88920, Sioux Falls, SD 57109, phone (605) 330-6963; email@example.com.