FERC accepts market authority for 75-MW Rutherford solar project in N.C.

Rutherford Farm LLC was approved Nov. 10 on its Aug. 30 application with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for acceptance of its Market-Based Rate Tariff and for authority to sell energy, capacity and ancillary services in wholesale transactions within the Duke Energy Carolinas Balancing Authority Area at market-based rates.

Rutherford is constructing the Rutherford Solar Facility, a 74.8-MW photovoltaic facility located in Rutherford County, North Carolina. The Rutherford Farm project is expected to be commercially operational in December 2016. Upon reaching commercial operations, 100% of the net power generation capacity is committed to Duke Energy Carolinas under a 15-year firm Renewable Power Purchase Agreement (RPPA).

Rutherford is wholly owned by Southern Turner Renewable Energy LLC (STRE). STRE is owned 90% by Southern Renewable Energy (SRE), which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Southern Power. Southern Power is a subsidiary of Southern Co. (NYSE: SO). The other 10% of the ownership of STRE is held, on a passive investment basis, by Turner Renewable Energy LLC.

Southern Power and Turner Renewable Energy had announced on July 8 the acquisition of the companies’ second solar project in North Carolina – the Rutherford Farm facility – from Cypress Creek Renewables. Cypress Creek Renewables is developing and constructing the project and will serve as the operations and maintenance contractor. Located on 489 acres in Rutherford County, Rutherford Farm is expected to consist of 289,104 fixed-tilt, monocrystalline solar panels manufactured by Trina Solar.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.