The North Carolina Utilities Commission on Aug. 16 issued its schedule to review a July 29 application from NTE Carolinas II LLC for a certificate of public convenience and necessity (CPCN) to construct a natural-gas fueled merchant generating facility in Rockingham County, North Carolina.
The company intends to construct a 500-MW combined cycle combustion turbine facility to be fueled by natural gas. Construction is anticipated to begin in the first quarter of 2018.
The location of the proposed facility is an approximately 90-acre tract located at 4781 NC Highway 65, and bounded by NC Highway 65 to the east and New Lebanon Church Road to the west, in Reidsville, Rockingham County, North Carolina.
The facility will interconnect with the transmission grid operated by Duke Energy Carolinas LLC (DEC) via the Ernest Switching Station immediately adjacent to the facility site. All interconnection equipment will be located on the facility site, except a portion of the line connecting the facility to the Ernest Switching Station, which portion will be on DEC’s property. NTE is in discussions with Piedmont Natural Gas Co. Inc. to provide services as the natural gas distribution company for the facility.
On Aug. 10, the commission’s Public Staff filed a Notice of Completeness stating that the Public Staff has reviewed the application and considers it to be complete. In addition, the Public Staff requested that the commission issue a procedural order setting the application for hearing.
The schedule from here is:
- a public witness hearing will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 25, at 7:00 p.m., at the Rockingham County Courthouse, Reidsville, North Carolina;
- an expert witness hearing solely for the purpose of receiving expert testimony of the parties will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 2, at 2:00 p.m., in a commission hearing room in Raleigh for the purpose of considering NTE’s application for a CPCN;
- any person having an interest in this proceeding may file a petition to intervene stating such interest by Oct. 18;
- the direct testimony and exhibits of the Public Staff and other intervenors shall be filed by Oct. 18; and
- NTE may file rebuttal testimony and exhibits on or before Oct. 27.