The U.S. Justice Dept. will announce in the Aug. 9 Federal Register that that on Aug. 3 it lodged proposed modifications to a Consent Decree at the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia in a 2003 legal case against Virginia Electric and Power, a subsidiary of Dominion Resources (NYSE: D).
The original Consent Decree was entered in October 2003 and resolved civil claims under the Clean Air Act at a number of the defendant’s electric-generating facilities located in Virginia and West Virginia. The decree imposed various pollution control requirements, including requirements related to particulate matter emissions at the Bremo Power Station located in Fluvanna County, Virginia.
The Consent Decree also required the Defendant to fund certain environmental mitigation projects, including certain projects identified by the co-plaintiff states of Connecticut and Virginia.
The parties to the Consent Decree have lately agreed to certain modifications to the decree. The first amendment modifies the particulate matter provisions to recognize that the Bremo Power Station no longer burns coal or fuel oil and instead is fired exclusively with natural gas. The second and third amendments modify the decree’s environmental mitigation project provisions to allow the co-plaintiff states of Connecticut and Virginia to use remaining environmental mitigation funds on additional environmental mitigation projects.
All comments on these amendments must be submitted no later than 30 days after the publication date of this Aug. 9 notice.
Says the Dominion website about this plant: “Bremo Power Station, Virginia’s oldest coal-fueled power station, has begun a second life as a natural gas powered generating facility. Dominion Virginia Power completed the conversion in June of 2014. … The station ceased using coal for fuel in September of 2013. Bremo Power Station is located on the banks of the James River not far from Fork Union in Fluvanna County. The station’s first two coal units went into service in 1931 and were retired in 1972. The two units converted to natural gas –Units 3 and 4, – were built in 1950 and 1958, respectively.”