AKRON, Ohio, June 9, 2016 /PRNewswire/ — FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE) recently issued its 2016 Sustainability Report, which details how the company is making a switch to a cleaner energy future as it continues to provide safe and reliable electric service to customers. The report is available in the environmental section of the company’s website at www.firstenergycorp.com.
“At FirstEnergy, our mission is to make customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger,” saidCharles E. Jones, president and chief executive officer of FirstEnergy. “The information in the Sustainability Report illustrates what FirstEnergy already has accomplished in terms of environmental achievements and what our goals are for cleaner and more sustainable energy in the future.”
FirstEnergy’s recent key environmental milestones include:
- Generating nearly 100 percent of its electricity through non- or low-emitting resources.
- Being one of the region’s largest providers of renewable energy from contracted wind and solar and pumped-storage hydro resources.
- Providing the Cleveland Indians with 100 percent Green-e® Energy Certified wind energy to power Progressive Field, which significantly reduces the carbon footprint of the ballpark, along with Akron radio stations WAKR/WONE powering their studios with similar clean energy.
- Establishing companywide goals to reduce carbon emissions by at least 90 percent below 2005 levels by 2045. The company has already begun the transition to cleaner generation by closing 11 older, less efficient coal plants since 2012.
- Continuing to build on a long history of environmental stewardship and investments in clean energy, including more than$10 billion to enhance environmental performance of its generating fleet since the Clean Air Act became law in 1970.
- Installing new LED signage atop its headquarters building in downtown Akron, Ohio, which is expected to be seven times more energy efficient than the previous neon-based signage.
- Implementing energy efficiency programs for its 10 utility companies to help customers better manage energy usage.
- Achieving LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council for three new FirstEnergy facilities.
The 70-page Sustainability Report also includes information about FirstEnergy’s economic development efforts, safety record, customer service reliability and contributions made by the FirstEnergy Foundation to community-based organizations.
The Sustainability Report complements the environmental campaign FirstEnergy launched earlier this year. “The Switch is On” highlights FirstEnergy’s environmental accomplishments, its transition to cleaner energy sources and a green energy option from FirstEnergy Solutions for residential customers in Ohio and Pennsylvania. The campaign includes a dedicated website –www.theswitchison.com – which provides information about the company’s environmental goals and efforts.
FirstEnergy supports the environmental campaign with enhanced environmental messaging on its corporate website and through its social media channels with information such as tips for consumers on how to conserve energy and updates on the company’s environmental initiatives.
FirstEnergy is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Marylandand New York. The company’s transmission subsidiaries operate more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, while its generation subsidiaries control nearly 17,000 megawatts of capacity from a diversified mix of scrubbed coal, non-emitting nuclear, natural gas, hydro and other renewables. Follow FirstEnergy on Twitter@FirstEnergyCorp or online at www.firstenergycorp.com.