Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Americas (MHPSA) on April 27 signed a contract with Spain-based Iberdrola SA to supply two J-series gas turbines, a steam turbine and long term service agreement (LTSA).
The contract signing came only days after Mexico’s Comisión Federal de Electricidad (CFE) signed a 25-year Power Purchase Agreement with Iberdrola to build, own, and operate the 890-MW Noroeste Power Plant. Located in Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico, the combined cycle plant is expected to be online in 2019.
The power plant will be equipped with two MHPS M501J gas turbines, each rated at 327 MW, and one MHPS TC4F steam turbine. The award also includes a Long-Term Service Agreement.
This is the second consecutive CFE Independent Power Producer (IPP) project to be awarded to Iberdrola based on the J-Series technology; the first was for the CFE Escobedo Power Plant near Monterrey, Mexico. in October 2015.
“Mitsubishi Hitachi’s commitment and support have been very important for the mutual success in Noroeste. MHPSA is a reliable and trusted partner, and we look forward to having a very successful execution and electricity supply to CFE, our major customer in the world,” said Enrique Alba, general director of Iberdrola Mexico, the leading private producer of electricity in the country.
“Both utilities and IPP’s have embraced the best-selling M501J gas turbine because of its unique combination of industry-leading combined cycle efficiency approaching 62%, and proven reliability in excess of 99%,” said Miguel Vallejo, President of Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems de Mexico, S.A. de C.V. “Iberdrola is a very important player in the Mexican Energy sector and worldwide, not only as producer but also as a technology developer, and now a strategic partner for MHPSA. Iberdrola’s selection of the J-technology was strongly influenced by CFE’s desire for proven operational experience and industry leading performance,” added Vallejo.
Mitsubishi said the benefits of the M501J include:
- Lowest Cost of Electricity: In combined cycle operation, the J-Series gas turbine provides industry-leading fuel efficiency, maintenance cost, and plant cost.
- Operational experience: With 45 units ordered, 19 units in commercial operation and over 232,000 cumulative operating hours, the M501J stands alone in its 300 MW+ size range. No other 60 Hz product in this size range has even a single hour of operating experience.
- Reliability: The J-series has demonstrated over 99% reliability in commercial operation, a new standard for the power generation industry.
- Environmental Performance: Emissions of greenhouse gasses are lower than any other combined cycle power plant in operation today, and are 60% lower than a comparable coal-fired power plant.
- Flexibility: The rapid start and turndown capability of the newest generation of combined cycle power plants make them a great compliment to intermittent renewable power resources.
Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Americas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Ltd. Headquartered in Lake Mary, Florida, MHPSA employs over 2,000 in the Americas and has the world’s most modern heavy duty gas turbine and steam turbine factory, located in Savannah, Ga.