Market power filing made related to two in-construction CPV projects

Several affiliated companies with power plants on April 6 filed a notice with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission that their affiliation with two companies with in-construction power projects is not a market power concern that needs addressing by FERC.

Each of thse filing companies is indirectly and partially owned by Global Infrastructure Partners II‐B Feeder Fund LP, Global Infrastructure Partners II‐A LP, Global Infrastructure Partners II‐C LP, GIP II‐C Eagle AIV LP, Global Infrastructure Partners II‐D1 LP and GIP II Friends & Family Fund LP (collectively called the “GIP II Funds”).  The general partner of Global Infrastructure Partners II‐B Feeder Fund LP is Global Infrastructure GP II Feeder LP (“GI GP”), while the general partner of the other GIP II Funds is Global Infrastructure GP II LP (together with GI GP, the “GIP II Funds GPs”). The general partner of the GIP II Fund GPs is Global Infrastructure Investors II LLC (the “Upper GP”).

The filing companies own or control the following interests in the energy industry:

  • CPV Keenan II Renewable Energy Co. LLC owns and operates 151.8 MW (nameplate) of generation capacity in the Southwest Power Pool (SPP) market. The GIP II Funds indirectly own 100% of the controlling membership interests in CPV Keenan II.
  • CPV Maryland LLC will own and operate 725 MW (nameplate) of generation capacity (once its generation facility goes into operation) in the AP South and 5004/5005 submarkets of the PJM Interconnection market. The GIP II Funds indirectly own 25% of the controlling membership interests in CPV Maryland.
  • CPV Shore LLC owns and operates 725 MW (nameplate) of generation capacity in the PJM East, AP South, and 5004/5005 submarkets of PJM. The GIP II Funds indirectly own 57.53% of the controlling membership interest in CPV Maryland.
  • Benson Power LLC and CPV Biomass Holdings LLC. Benson Power owns 62.3 MW (nameplate) of generation capacity in the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO) region. CPV Biomass owns 100% of the controlling Class A interest in and is the managing member of Benson Power. The GIP II Funds indirectly own 100% of the controlling membership interests in CPV Biomass.

The new affiliations for these companies are:

  • CPV Towantic LLC is constructing and will own and operate a 805 MW (nameplate) natural gas‐fueled, combined‐cycle facility and associated interconnection facilities to be located in Oxford, Connecticut. The Towantic Facility will be interconnected to the transmission system owned by Connecticut Light & Power and operated by ISO New England. The GIP II Funds indirectly own 51% of the membership interests of CPV Towantic. General Electric indirectly owns the remaining 49% of the membership interests of CPV Towantic.
  • CPV Valley LLC is constructing and will own and operate a 820 MW (nameplate) natural gas‐fueled, combined‐cycle facility and associated interconnection facilities to be located in Orange County, New York. The CPV Valley Facility will be interconnected to the transmission system owned by the New York Power Authority and operated by the New York Independent System Operator. The GIP II Funds indirectly own 50% of the membership interests in CPV Valley Holdings LLC, the sole member of CPV Valley. Mitsubishi Corp., through its wholly owned subsidiary Diamond Generating Corp., indirectly owns the remaining 50% of the membership interests in CPV Valley Holdings.
About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.