Puget Sound Energy (PSE) reported a massive natural gas explosion early March 9 north of Seattle, Washington.
Media reports on ABC News and elsewhere indicated that several shops were destroyed or severely damaged and some firefighters sustained minor injuries. Puget Sound Energy said on its twitter account that it had leak survey teams deployed to ensure that the area around the Greenwood neighborhood is now safe.
“Seattle Fire Investigators have determined that the early morning explosion and resulting fire in Greenwood were accidental and caused by a natural gas leak on the exterior of the building,” according to an online posting by the Seattle Fire Department.
Three businesses located in the building shared common walls and were leveled by the blast. “Natural gas levels accumulated in the interior of the building to the extent that they ignited. Investigators were not able to pinpoint the source of ignition inside the structure,” the Seattle Fire Department went on to say.
Fire companies responded to reports of a natural gas leak at 1:04 a.m. on March 9, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
PSE also said online that it was coordinating with public safety agencies to restore utility service to customers in the surrounding area.