Pleasant Valley Wind project sold to Xcel’s Northern States Power subsidiary

RES America Development Inc., which owns 90% of Pleasant Valley Wind LLC, and RES America Investments, which owns the other 10%, on Nov. 19 notified the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission that they no longer seek to retain the Exempt Wholesale Generator (EWG) status for Pleasant Valley’s wind project in Minnesota.

The Northern States Power unit of Xcel Energy (NYSE: XEL) on Nov. 18 acquired the wind farm, meaning the EWG status was no longer needed since the project is no longer making open-market sales.

RES Americas told the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission in a Nov. 13 update that Pleasant Valley Wind was due to be sold to Xcel Energy on Nov. 18 and to go into commercial operation the next day. This update was mandated under a prior state commission approval for this 200-MW project.

The company added in the Nov. 13 filing: “The Pleasant Valley Wind Project construction reached substantial completion on October 30, 2015. Final completion of construction activities at the project, including all required restoration and reclamation activities are on-going.”

The commission in February 2014 had approved an amendment to the site permit for this project, located in Dodge and Mower counties, to bring the approved capacity down from the original 301 MW to the current 200 MW. The cut in size was to match a power purchase deal with Northern States Power.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.