30-MW Seville Solar Two project in California due for test power start in Q4 2015

Duke Energy‘s (NYSE: DUK) Seville Solar Two LLC, which is developing a 30-MW project in California, on Oct. 8 filed with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission a notice of self-certification as an exempt wholesale generator.

Seville Solar Two is a direct, wholly-owned subsidiary of Seville Solar Holding Co. LLC, which is a direct, wholly-owned subsidiary of Duke Energy Renewables Solar LLC. The corporate ladder then tops out at Duke Energy.

Seville Solar Two is currently engaged in the development and construction of a 30-MW (nameplate) solar facility located in Imperial County, California, within the balancing authority area of the Imperial Irrigation District (IID). The facility will consist of First Solar thin film solar modules interconnected by a series of transmission facilities, and will interconnect with the transmission system of IID. The facility is expected to produce test power in the fourth quarter of 2015.

Under a Power Purchase Agreement dated May 27, 2014, as amended March 10, 2015, between Seville Solar Two and IID, Seville Solar Two will sell to IID 100% of the energy, environmental attributes, capacity attributes and other ancillary products, services or attributes similar to the foregoing which are produced by or associated with the facility. The PPA has a term of 25 years beginning the first day of the month after the commercial operation date of the facility.

Duke Energy said on July 28 that it had acquired the 20-MW (ac) Seville I and 30-MW (ac) Seville II solar projects in California from Kruger Energy. The projects are located in Imperial County about 10 miles west of the Salton Sea.

“The Seville projects are a sizeable addition to our California solar portfolio; they will almost double our solar capacity in the state,” said Greg Wolf, president, Commercial Portfolio, Duke Energy. “We’re pleased to be adding quality projects that will bring economic development to Imperial County and contribute to California’s leadership in renewable energy growth.”

The energy generated from Seville I and associated renewable energy credits (RECs) will be sold to San Diego Gas & Electric through a 20-year agreement. Kruger Energy will oversee the construction of the projects, which is underway. The facilities are expected to be in service by year end, said Duke in the July 28 announcement.

On Oct. 8, Seville Solar One LLC notified FERC of a non-material change in facts due to a change in its upstream ownership related to that July buy from Kruger Energy. Seville Solar One said it is developing a facility with a maximum generating capacity of approximately 20 MW in Imperial County, California. Seville Solar One will be leasing this facility to Tallbear Seville LLC for the term of the 20-year power purchase agreement with San Diego Gas and Electric. Seville Solar One submitted a notice of self-certification as an EWG on April 21, 2015.

Tallbear Seville said in its own Oct. 8 notice to FERC that this solar facility will achieve commercial operation during the fourth quarter of 2015. Duke owns 49% of Tallbear Seville. The remaining 51% is owned by Richard Tall Bear. Richard Tall Bear is an entrepreneur that owns certain hospitality- and energy-related companies. His energy companies primarily engage in procuring solar energy systems for projects that range from small residential/business clients to Native-American-owned utilities and also engage in natural gas transactions and electric power purchases and sales in the United States.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.