Georgia Power told the Georgia Public Service Commission in a June 1 update about its progress so far with compliance with the federal Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS) at the coal-fired Plant Bowen Units 1-4, Plant Gaston Units 1-4, Plant Hammond Units 1-4, Plant McIntosh Unit 1, Plant Scherer Units 1-3, Plant Wansley Units 1 and 2, and Plant Yates Units 6 and 7.
The MATS compliance strategy involves various projects and/or activities to prepare each facility to meet the MATS requirements. The major components of the compliance strategy are:
- Baghouses, Plant Bowen Units 3-4;
- Activated carbon injection (ACI)/alkali sorbent injection (ASI), Plants Bowen Units 1-4, Plant Hammond Units 1-4 and Plant Wansley Units 1-2;
- ACI and dry sorbent injection (DSI), Plant McIntosh Unit 1;
- Bromide systems, Plant Scherer Units 1-3;
- Coal-to-gas fuel switching, Plant Gaston Units 1-4, Plant Yates Units 6-7.
On Dec. 29, 2014, Georgia Power received approval from the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD) of a six-month MATS compliance extension for Plant McIntosh Unit 1. The initial MATS deadline was April 16 of this year.
On Feb. 2, 2015, Georgia Power received approval from the Georgia EPD of a six-month MATS compliance extension for Plant Bowen Unit 1.
On Feb. 23, 2015, Georgia Power received approval from Georgia EPD of a one-year extension of the MATS compliance deadline for all coal-fired units at Plants Bowen, Hammond, McIntosh, Scherer, and Wansley.
A summary of work performed in the first quarter of this year consists of:
- Plant Bowen Units 1 and 2 – Precipitator work is complete for Units 1 and 2. Installation of the Unit 1 ACI and ALK electrical/mechanical systems is complete. The Unit 2 ALK and ACI systems have been placed in service.
- Plant Bowen Units 3 and 4 – Pre-assembly of major baghouse components into larger modules continues. Concrete foundations are being installed. Work on the relocated administration building is complete. Duct support steel for the Units 3 and 4 baghouses is being installed. Duct sections for the Units 3 and 4 baghouses are being installed. All hoppers and compartments for the baghouses are in place. Installation of baghouse dampers and other components continues. Work continues on the ACI and ALK systems.
- Plant Gaston Units 1-4 – The detailed design for Unit 4 natural gas burners and supporting equipment is complete and design for Units 1, 2, and 3 continues. The 32-mile natural gas pipeline has been purged and packed with natural gas. The tie in outage for Unit 4 is underway.
- Plant Hammond Units 1-4 – The Units 1, 2, 3, and 4 ACI and ALK systems have been placed in service. Precipitator work for Units 1, 2, 3, and 4 is complete. Work continues on the lining of the existing landfill cell.
- Plant McIntosh Unit 1 – Work on the ACI and DSI systems is complete. Precipitator refurbishment work is complete. Work on the new landfill will begin after the permit is received.
- Plant Scherer Units 1-3 – Engineering studies continue for bromide injection.
- Plant Wansley Units 1 and 2 – The Units 1 and 2 ACI and ALK systems are in service. The Units 1 and 2 precipitator refurbishment is complete.
- Plant Yates Units 6 and 7 – Work on the gas conditioning yard is complete. The installation of natural gas burners, piping, and other supporting equipment is complete for Unit 7 and continues for Unit 6. Unit 7 achieved commercial operation on natural gas on May 4, 2015.