The staff of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission will prepare an environmental assessment (EA) on the Gulf Markets Expansion Project, which involves construction and operation of facilities by Texas Eastern Transmission LP.
The Texas Eastern facilities will be in: Lavaca County, Texas; St. Landry, Pointe Coupee, and Beauregard parishes, Louisiana; Scioto County, Ohio; Bath County, Kentucky; Giles County, Tennessee; and Monroe and Franklin counties, Mississippi. The commission will use this EA in its decision-making process to determine whether the project is in the public convenience and necessity. The scoping period where FERC will take input on what should be covered by the EA will close on May 4.
The purpose of the project would be to provide 650,000 dekatherms per day (Dth/d) of natural gas to the Gulf Coast region of Louisiana and Texas from the natural gas basins in the Northeast and Texas. The project would consist of these facility modifications:
- at the Wheelersburg Compressor Station in Scioto County, Ohio, to allow for bidirectional compression on six, existing 2,500 horsepower (HP) compressor units;
- at the Owingsville Compressor Station in Bath County, Kentucky, to allow for bidirectional compression;
- at the Mt. Pleasant Compressor Station in Giles County, Tennessee, to allow for support of bi-directional compression;
- at the Egypt Compressor Station in Monroe County, Mississippi to allow for support of bi-directional compression;
- at the existing launchers and receivers at milepost (MP) 231.16, south of the Union Church Compressor Station in Franklin County, Mississippi, to allow for bidirectional in-line inspection;
- at the Gillis County Compressor Station in Beauregard Parish, Louisiana, to allow for bi-directional compression;
- at the existing Opelousas Compressor Station in Saint Landry Parish, Louisiana, to allow for bi-directional compression, and installation of an additional 12,500 HP electric-driven compressor unit;
- at two existing metering and regulating (M&R) locations at Lottie and New Roads Township in Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana (M&R 71287 and M&R 71424) additions of gas chromatographs; and
- at the new Provident City Compressor Station in Lavaca County, Texas, installation of a new 5,280 HP compressor unit.