NextEra seeks market authority for 20-MW Shafter Solar project in California

Shafter Solar LLC, an affiliate of NextEra Energy Resources that is developing a 20-MW project in California, filed on Feb. 9 with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission an application for authorization to make market-based sales of energy, capacity and certain ancillary services under a market-based rate tariff.

Shafter Solar will own and operate a photovoltaic solar facility with a nameplate capacity of about 20 MW located in Kern County, California, within the California ISO balancing authority area. The facility will interconnect with Pacific Gas & Electric‘s 21-kV distribution bus at the Seventh Standard Substation.

Shafter Solar said it has entered into a long-term power purchase agreement with a non-affiliate for 100% of the power produced by the facility. It will submit a notice of self-certification as an exempt wholesale generator to the commission. The project is due in-service on March 15 of this year.

Applicant is a wholly-owned direct subsidiary of Shafter Solar Holdings LLC, which in turn is an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of NextEra Energy Operating Partners LP (OpCo). The limited partnership interests in OpCo are owned by NextEra Energy Partners LP and NextEra Energy Equity Partners LP. NEP is a “yieldco” that has been structured to monetize the value of certain of NextEra Resources’ wind and solar generation facilities. The limited partnership interests in NEP, which represent approximately 20.1% of the voting power on matters for which NEP limited partnership interests are eligible to vote, are currently traded in the form of “Common Units” on the New York Stock Exchange. The remaining approximately 79.9% of voting power in NEP is currently held by NEE Equity through its ownership of NEP’s special voting units. NEE Equity is an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of NextEra Energy Resources. 

A company contact is: Joel D. Newton,  Senior Attorney,  NextEra Energy Resources LLC,  801 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W. Suite 220, Washington, DC 20004, (202) 347-7126, (202) 347-7076 fax, joel.newton@nexteraenergy.com.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.