NewPage Energy Services LLC, due to a recent ownership change, on Feb. 6 asked the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for classification as a Category 1 Seller in the Northeast region, and said that it remains a Category 2 Seller in the Central region and has become a Category 1 Seller in all other regions.
“This filing is triggered by the consummation of (1) the merger of NewPage Holdings Inc., the indirect parent of NewPage Energy Services, with an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of Verso Corporation (‘Verso’), resulting in NewPage Energy Services becoming an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of Verso (the ‘Merger’); and (2) the indirect sale by Verso of the equity interests in Verso Bucksport LLC and Verso Bucksport Power LLC, each of which owns generation in the Northeast region, to AIM Development (USA) LLC, which closed on January 29, 2015 (the ‘Bucksport Sale’). As a result of the Merger and Bucksport Sale, NewPage Energy Services is now affiliated with less than 500 MW of generation in the Northeast region and qualifies for the Category 1 Seller status in the Northeast region.”
In the Northeast region, NewPage Energy Services is affiliated with the following entities:
- Verso Androscoggin LLC is a subsidiary of Verso that owns and operates six cogeneration qualifying facilities (QFs) totaling 243.5 MW, located in and around Jay, Maine, within the ISO New England balancing authority area (BAA).
- Verso Androscoggin Power LLC, a subsidiary of Verso, owns and operates 23 hydroelectric facilities, totaling 29.1 MW, located at or nearby the paper mill in Jay, Maine, within the ISO-NE BAA. All of these hydroelectric generation facilities are QFs.
- Verso Paper LLC, a subsidiary of Verso, owns a 12.5% interest in Androscoggin Reservoir Co., which in turn owns and operates an approximately 6.9 MW small power production hydroelectric facility in Oxford County, Maine, within the ISO-NE BAA.
- Luke Paper LLC, a subsidiary of Verso, owns a 65 MW cogeneration QF located at a paper mill in Luke, Maryland, within the PJM Interconnection market.
- One additional affiliate through upstream parent companies of Verso owns an approximately 0.5 MW generation asset located the New York Independent System Operator market.
A company contact is: Peter H. Kesser, Verso Corp., 6775 Lenox Center Court, Suite 400, Memphis, TN 38115-4436, (901) 369-4105 (phone), (901) 369-4228 (facsimile), email@example.com.
FERC on Jan. 15 had approved a power plant sale application from Verso Bucksport LLC and Verso Bucksport Power LLC. They had requested commission authorization for the sale of 100% of the equity interests in them by Verso Paper LLC and Verso Maine Power Holding LLC to AIM Development (USA).
Verso Bucksport owns and operates three units totaling 118.4 MW located in Maine, within the ISO-NE Balancing Authority Area. Verso Bucksport also owns, as a tenant-in-common with Verso Bucksport Power, an undivided 28% interest (51.8 MW) in a 185 MW cogeneration facility, while Verso Bucksport Power owns the remaining 72% undivided interest (133.2 MW). All four of these generation units are located at the Bucksport Mill, a paper mill located in Bucksport, Maine, and are Qualifying Facilities.
The power produced by three of the four generation units at Bucksport Mill is either consumed at Bucksport Mill or sold, pursuant to the market-based rate authorizations of Verso Bucksport and Verso Bucksport Power, into the ISO-NE market. The power produced by the fourth generation unit is also sold in the ISO-NE market, pursuant to the market-based rate authorization of Verso Bucksport.
The buyer, AIM Development, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of American Iron & Metal Co. Inc., a privately-held Canadian metal recycling company.