Georgia Power updated the Georgia Public Service Commission on Dec. 1 about the progress in installing new air emissions controls on several coal-fired units.
This report was provided under the commission’s final approval of this Southern Co. (NYSE: SO) subsidiary’s 2013 Integrated Resource Plan (IRP). The final order requires Georgia Power to provide quarterly compliance reports regarding the environmental controls and fuel switches approved by the commission that will be implemented under the federal Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS) at Plant Bowen Units 1-4, Plant Gaston Units 1-4, Plant Hammond Units 1-4, Plant McIntosh Unit 1, Plant Scherer Units 1-3, Plant Wansley Units 1 and 2, and Plant Yates Units 6 and 7.
Here is a summary of the major components of the compliance strategy:
- Baghouses, Bowen Units 3 and 4;
- Activated carbon injection (ACI) and Alkali Sorbent Injection (ALK), Bowen Units 1-4, Hammond Units 1-4, Wansley Units 1-2;
- ACI and Dry Sorbent Injection (DSI), McIntosh Unit 1;
- Bromide Systems, Scherer Units 1-3; and
- Coal-to-gas fuel switching, Gaston Unit 1-4, Yates Unit 6-7.
The latest status for each project is:
- Plant Bowen Units 1 and 2 – Refurbishment of the Unit 1 A and B precipitator boxes is complete. Installation of the Unit 1 ACI and ALK electrical/mechanical systems continues. The Unit 2 ALK and ACI systems have been placed in service.
- Plant Bowen Units 3 and 4 – Delivery of major baghouse components is complete. Pre-assembly of those components into larger modules continues. Concrete foundations are being installed. Work continues on the relocated administration building. Duct support steel for the Units 3 and 4 baghouses is being installed. Support steel for the Units 3 and 4 baghouses is being installed. Duct sections, hoppers and compartments for the Units 3 and 4 baghouses are being installed. Work is complete on the lining of the existing on-site landfill cells.
- Plant Gaston Units 1-4 – Detailed design is nearing completion for the installation of natural gas burners and other supporting equipment on Units 1-4. Cleanup and restoration of the natural gas pipeline right-of-way is complete. Hydro-testing of the pipeline is complete. Onsite gas conditioning station work continues. Notable is that Gaston is in Alabama, but Georgia Power owns a stake in the plant.
- Plant Hammond Units 1-4 – The Units 1, 3, and 4 ACI and ALK systems have been placed in service. Work on the existing dry ash silo is complete. Work on the Unit 2 precipitator refurbishment is complete. Work on the Unit 4 precipitator refurbishment is underway. Work continues on the lining of the existing landfill cell.
- Plant McIntosh Unit 1 – Work on the ACI and DSI electrical and mechanical equipment building is underway. The prime contract for installation of the ACI and DSI systems has been awarded.
- Plant Scherer Units 1-3 – Engineering studies continue for bromide injection.
- Plant Wansley Units 1 and 2 – This quarter Unit 1 ACI and ALK systems have been placed in service so that now both Unit 1 and Unit 2 systems are in service.
- Plant Yates Units 6 and 7 – Work is underway on the gas conditioning yard and on the installation of natural gas burners and other supporting equipment.