EDF EN Canada marks completion of latest wind project in Quebec

EDF EN Canada and Énergie du Granit Inc. on Dec. 5 celebrated the completion of the 24.6-MW Le Granit Wind Project in Quebec.

The project is located on the lands of the municipality of Saint-Robert-Bellarmin, in the RCM (Regional County Municipality) of Le Granit, administrative region of Estrie. RCM Le Granit and EDF EN Canada officials were joined by 80 guests to mark the commissioning and commercial operation.

Énergie du Granit owns 30% of the project while EDF EN Canada holds the remaining 70%. Consisting of 12 turbines supplied by Senvion, the project employed more than 100 persons during the peak construction phase. Electricity generated is delivered to Hydro-Quebec Distribution under a 20-year Power Purchase Agreement.

“In addition to the electricity generation’s revenues shared with Énergie Du Granit, an annual financial contribution of $61,500 will be paid to the municipality of Saint-Robert-Bellarmin during the 20 years of operation of the wind farm. Énergie du Granite, a company 100% owned by the RCM of Le Granit, will finally see the results of its participation,” said André St-Marseille, President of Énergie du Granit. “Since the beginning of our partnership with EDF Energies Nouvelles, a climate of collaboration and trust has been set up.”

“We offer our sincere thanks to the outstanding efforts of the development, construction and commissioning teams which took up the challenge and delivered the project on time and within budget with about 100,000 hours of work,” said Al Kurzenhauser, Chief Operating Officer of EDF EN Canada. “In addition, we acknowledge the participation and the outstanding efforts of our partner, Énergie du Granit, who brought us proof of confidence from the start of this adventure.”

Le Granit is one of seven wind energy projects awarded to EDF EN Canada in 2008 and 2010 through a Hydro-Quebec Distribution call for tenders. It also represents the third project developed by EDF EN Canada to be held in partnership with an MRC, the other two wind projects being La Mitis (24.6 MW) and Lac Alfred (300 MW). By the end of 2015, EDF EN Canada will have placed into service 1,374 MW of wind and solar projects in Canada.

EDF EN Canada, a subsidiary of EDF Energies Nouvelles, is a market leader in renewable energy, with more than 1,300 MW of wind and solar power facilities in service or under construction. Headquartered in Toronto, with offices in Montreal, EDF EN Canada employs an integrated approach to project development covering all aspects from conception to commissioning through to generation and long term operations.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.