Duke asks PJM for June 2015 deactivation of Miami Fort Unit 6

PJM Interconnection got a Dec. 19 request to deactivate, as of June 1, 2015, the coal-fired Miami Fort Unit 6.

That is among the pending deactivations shown in an updated list issued by PJM on Dec. 22. The list shows Miami Fort Unit 6 as a 163-MW unit and says about any grid issues resulting for this shutdown: “Reliability analysis underway.”

The Kentucky Public Service Commission on Dec. 4 approved a purchase by Duke Energy Kentucky of the part of the coal-fired East Bend Unit 2 that it did not already own, which is a move designed to replace Miami Fort Unit 6 in the Duke portfolio. The Duke Energy Kentucky subsidiary of Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK) got a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity in connection with the acquisition of the remaining 31% interest (about 186 MW of net installed capacity) in East Bend Unit 2 from Dayton Power & Light. Duke Energy Kentucky already owned the other 69% interest (about 414 MW of net installed capacity) in East Bend Unit 2.

Duke Energy Kentucky further sought authority to accumulate and defer for review and recovery in its next base rate case the additional incremental operation and maintenance (O&M) costs associated with its proposed purchase of the remaining 31% interest in East Bend Unit 2; and any retirement costs associated with normal retirement of the coal-fired Miami Fort Unit Unit 6 (MF6) as a result of the federal Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS).

MF6 was commissioned in 1960 and is designed to burn low- to medium-sulfur eastern bituminous coal. It is a base/intermediate-load facility located in Hamilton County, Ohio. Miami Fort Station is a nominal 640-MW facility with three coal/steam units.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.