EDF EN Canada, partner mark commercial start of new Quebec wind farm

EDF EN Canada and Énergie Renouvelable de La Mitis announced Nov. 24 that the 24.6-MW La Mitis Wind Project was declared to be in commercial operation on Oct. 17.

The project represents a joint-ownership undertaking formed by EDF EN Canada and Énergie Renouvelable de La Mitis, a company wholly owned by the RCM (Regional County Municipality) de La Mitis which is an association of 16 municipalities.

Located in the unorganized territory Lac-à-la-Croix in the RCM of La Mitis, administrative region of the Bas-St-Laurent, La Mitis Community Wind Project is comprised of 12 turbines supplied by Senvion. The electricity generated is delivered to Hydro-Quebec Distribution under a 20-year Power Purchase Agreement. Énergie Renouvelable de La Mitis owns 30% of the project while EDF EN Canada holds the remaining 70%.

According to Marcel Moreau, CEO of the RMC of La Mitis: “The wind of La Mitis now is of great importance for the economy of the region with the commercial launch of our community wind project. For 20 years, we will produce green energy that respects sustainable development and meet the needs of our society. This marks our second investment in wind energy following our involvement in the Lac Alfred Wind Project. These projects together allow municipalities to take advantage of new financial resources that they have been anticipating for a long time.”

“La Mitis Wind Project holds a special place in our project portfolio. Along with the Le Granit Wind project, which was built and commissioned simultaneously, the project represents our first experience in community projects in Quebec and in Canada,” said Al Kurzenhauser, Chief Operating Officer for EDF EN Canada.

La Mitis is one of seven wind energy projects awarded to EDF EN Canada in 2008 and 2010 through a Hydro-Quebec Distribution call for tenders. It is one of three projects developed by EDF EN Canada to be held in partnership with a RCM, the other two wind projects being Le Granit (24.6 MW) and Lac Alfred (300 MW). By the end of 2015, EDF EN Canada will have placed into service 1,374 MW of wind and solar projects in Canada.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.