The West Virginia Public Service Commission in a Sept. 5 order laid out a procedural schedule for its review of an application for a 549-MW, gas-fired power project of Moundsville Power LLC.
On July 3, Moundsville Power applied for a Siting Certificate to construct and operate a 549-MW baseload combined cycle plant about three miles south of Moundsville between State Route 2 and the Ohio River on a 37.2-acre portion of the Allied-Hanlin-Olin Superfund Site. Moundsville Power will also construct a 138-kV transmission line from the new plant. Total construction cost is estimated at $615m.
Moundsville Power asserted that additional generating capacity is needed in the PJM Interconnection power market. Close to the proposed plant, the coal-fired, 541-MW R.E. Burger Plant in Shadyside, Ohio, has closed and the 713-MW Kammer coal plant outside of Moundsville will close. In the Ohio River Valley, 3,970 MW of largely coal-fired capacity is scheduled to close by 2015.
The Moundsville project will use General Electric equipment. A natural gas-ethane blend will fuel two combustion turbine generators to generate electricity. The second generation cycle will use the combustion turbine exhaust to produce steam which will, in turn, be used to generate electricity. The plant will have cooling towers, a water treatment building, a maintenance building and other structures. Cooling water will come from the Ohio River. A switchyard will be built on the north end of the site and a 500-foot transmission line will deliver the electricity to the Washington Substation of American Electric Power (NYSE: AEP), located across State Route 2.
Moundsville Power wants to begin construction in the late 2015-early 2016 timeframe, with the project to be in-service by June 1, 2018.
Moundsville Power said it intends to file a market-based rate schedule with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission that will allow electricity sales at negotiated rates.
The commission-imposed case schedule includes:
- Moundsville Power direct testimony filed by Sept. 11;
- Intervenor direct testimony and rebuttal to Moundsville Power by Oct. 2;
- Staff direct testimony and rebuttal to Moundsville Power and intervenors by Nov. 6;
- Deadline for discovery requests, Nov. 12;
- Site Visit, Nov. 19;
- Public comment hearing in Moundsville, Nov. 19;
- Moundsville Power rebuttal to all due, Dec. 2;
- Intervenors’ rebuttal to staff and other intervenors, Dec. 2;
- Evidentiary hearing at PSC in Charleston, Dec. 9, plus Dec. 10 and Dec. 11 if necessary;
- Initial briefs, Jan. 8, 2015;
- Reply briefs, Jan. 22, 2015; and
- Last day for commission order, April 29, 2015.