RES Americas units seek FERC approval for wind projects

Pleasant Valley Wind LLC on Jan. 8 asked the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to grant it authorization to make wholesale sales of energy, capacity, and ancillary services at market-based rates related to its 200-MW wind project.

The company will construct, own and operate a 200-MW wind project and appurtenant facilities at a site about 90 miles south of Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn. It intends to sell energy and ancillary services at wholesale in the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO) market.

The wind facility will interconnect with Great River Energy’s Pleasant Valley Substation which abuts the eastern side of the facility site. This substation is interconnected with additional transmission facilities in the MISO market.

Pleasant Valley Wind is a subsidiary of RES America Developments, which owns 90% of the applicant, and RES America Investments, which owns the other 10%. These owners of the applicant are in turn wholly owned subsidiaries of Renewable Energy Systems Americas (RES Americas). RES Americas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Renewable Energy Systems Holdings Ltd., a corporation formed under the laws of England and Wales.

With the exception of two wind farms located in the Electric Reliability Council of Texas region, RES Americas does not own and is not affiliated with any entity that currently owns generation or transmission facilities in the United States, said the application. However, RES Americas is affiliated with Border Winds Energy LLC, which will construct, own and operate a 150-MW wind facility in Rolette County, N.D. The Border Winds Energy capacity is considered affiliated capacity in MISO for purposes of the Jan. 8 application.

The company contact is: Marcia Emmons, General Counsel, 11101 West 120th Avenue, Suite 400, Broomfield, CO 80021, Tel: (303) 439-4211
, Fax: (303) 439-4299 marcia.emmons@res-americas.com.

Border Winds on Jan. 8 filed a nearly identical application with FERC, with Emmons also listed in that application as the company contact.

The Minnesota Public Utilities Commission on Dec. 13 issued a written order approving Northern States Power d/b/a Xcel Energy (NYSE: XEL) to obtain 750 MW of new wind capacity, including capacity from both Pleasant Valley and Border Winds. The approved projects are:

 

  • Border Winds, under an agreement to buy from RES Americas this project in Rolette County, N.D., with a combined capacity of 150 MW.
  • Pleasant Valley, under an agreement to buy from RES Americas this 200-MW wind farm to be erected in Austin, Minn.
  • Courtenay, under an agreement to buy from Geronimo Energy the output of a 200-MW wind farm to be erected in Jamestown, N.D.
  • Odell, under an agreement to buy from Geronimo the output of a 200-MW wind farm to be erected in Mountain Lake, Minn.
About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.