Pleasant Valley Wind works on power line aspect of Minnesota project

The county government in Mower County, Minn., is taking public comment until Jan. 16 on an environmental assessment covering the needed transmission infrastructure for the 200-MW Pleasant Valley Wind LLC project.

Mower County agreed to act as the lead local unit of government with jurisdiction to approve the project. Pleasant Valley Wind is seeking authorization to construct a 161-kV transmission line and a substation for the Pleasant Valley Wind Project. The substation will be in Section 20 of Sargeant Township. The transmission line will connect the substation to the existing Great River Energy Pleasant Valley Station in Pleasant Valley Township.

Pleasant Valley is evaluating two potential routes for the proposed transmission line, only one of which will ultimately be constructed. The transmission route will either be along County Road 1 (310th Street) between 640th Avenue and 680th Avenue in Sargeant Township, or along 320th Street/325th Street between 640th Avenue and 680th Avenue.

Pleasant Valley Wind, a wholly-owned subsidiary of RES America Developments, plans to construct an up to 200 MW Large Wind Energy Conversion System in portions of Dodge and Mower counties, approximately 15 miles southwest of Rochester.

In other recent news for this project, Pleasant Valley Wind on Jan. 8 asked the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to grant it authorization to make wholesale sales of energy, capacity, and ancillary services at market-based rates. The company said it intends to sell energy and ancillary services at wholesale in the Midcontinent Independent System Operator market.

Pleasant Valley Wind is a subsidiary of RES American Developments, which owns 90% of the applicant, and RES America Investments, which owns the other 10%. These owners of the applicant are in turn wholly owned subsidiaries of Renewable Energy Systems Americas (RES Americas). RES Americas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Renewable Energy Systems Holdings Ltd., a corporation formed under the laws of England and Wales.

The Minnesota Public Utilities Commission on Dec. 13, 2013, issued a written order approving Northern States Power d/b/a Xcel Energy (NYSE: XEL) to obtain 750 MW of new wind capacity, including capacity from the Pleasant Valley project.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.