MidAmerican bringing online four solar projects in California, Arizona

MidAmerican Energy Holdings told the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on Jan. 2 that it has four solar projects in development and/or in the process of coming online.

The Jan. 2 filing was an update of the regional market power analysis work for MidAmerican Energy Holdings based on its Dec. 19 purchase of NV Energy, which controls two electric utilities in Nevada. The filing described various MidAmerican Energy Holdings affiliates, with only the affiliates with ongoing power project development mentioned here.

  • Agua Caliente Solar LLC – MidAmerican Renewables indirectly owns 49% of the membership interests in Agua Caliente (the remaining 51% is indirectly owned by NRG Energy). Agua Caliente is constructing a 290-MW solar photovoltaic facility in Yuma County, Ariz., which is directly interconnected to the transmission system owned by Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) and operated by the California ISO. A portion of the Agua Caliente Facility is presently in commercial operation, and the entire 290-MW facility is expected to be in commercial operation by the end of the first quarter of 2014. Agua Caliente has a long-term power purchase agreement with PG&E under which the entire net electrical output of its facility is committed to PG&E.
  • Solar Star California XIX LLC (Solar Star 1) – This is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of MidAmerican Renewables. Solar Star 1 is developing and constructing a 310-MW solar photovoltaic facility located in Kern and Los Angeles counties, Calif., that is interconnected to the transmission system owned by Southern California Edison (SCE) and operated by the CAISO. The entire output of Solar Star 1 is committed to SCE under a long-term power purchase agreement. MidAmerican Renewables acquired the rights to Solar Star 1 from SunPower Corp., which is constructing the facility. Construction of Solar Star 1 has started, and initial test operation began in the fourth quarter of 2013.
  • Solar Star California XX LLC (Solar Star 2) – This is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of MidAmerican Renewables. Solar Star 2 is developing and constructing a 276-MW solar photovoltaic facility located in Kern County, Calif., that is interconnected to the transmission system owned by SCE and operated by the CAISO. The entire output of Solar Star 2 is committed to SCE under a long-term power purchase agreement. MidAmerican Renewables acquired the rights to Solar Star 2 from SunPower, which is constructing the facility. Construction of Solar Star 2 has started, and initial test operation began in the fourth quarter of 2013.
  • Topaz Solar Farms LLC – This is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of MidAmerican Renewables. Topaz is constructing a 550-MW solar photovoltaic facility in San Luis Obispo County, Calif., which is interconnected to the transmission system owned by PG&E and operated by the CAISO. The Topaz Facility began trial operation during the first quarter of 2013. A portion of the Topaz Facility is presently in commercial operation. The full facility is expected to be in full commercial operation by March 2015. Topaz has entered into a long-term power purchase agreement with PG&E under which the entire net electrical output of the facility is committed to PG&E.
About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.