The Alberta Utilities Commission went out for comment on Aug. 12 on three applications from Suncor Energy Operating Inc., on behalf of Fort Hills Energy Corp., for projects that include a 170-MW power plant.
Suncor filed facility applications for the construction of the power plant and transmission facilities, interconnection and an amendment to the industrial system designation within the Fort Hills Oilsands development, located about 90 kilometers north of Fort McMurray.
Suncor filed an application with the AUC on Feb. 5, requesting approval to construct and operate a 170-MW cogeneration plant within the Fort Hills Oilsands development. This would consist of two 85-MW, gas-fueled turbine generators that will be located within the Fort Hills utilities and offsite plant area.
The power project will include two nominal 85 MW, General Electric Frame 7 EA gas turbine generators, each equipped with a heat recovery steam generator. Nominal summer ratings are expected to be 85 MW (103 MVA) for a total of 170 MW (206 MVA). Nominal winter ratings are expected to be 99.8 MW (110 MVA) for a total of 199.6 MW (220 MVA).
Suncor also filed an application with the AUC on Feb. 5 requesting approval to amend the industrial system designation for the Fort Hills Oilsands development.
Suncor filed an application with the AUC on June 4 requesting approval for the following development activities:
- Construction of a new 260-kV main substation 635EDD-1000 Alberta Interconnected Electric System (AIES) designation 505S.
- Install two new 260-kV single-circuit transmission lines designated as 635PL9-1000 and 635PL9-1001 between 260/144-kV AIES intertie switching station (ATCO Secord 2005S substation) and FHEC-owned main substation 635EDD-1000.
- Construction of a new 144-kV central substation 635EDD-1001 (AIES designation 805S).
- Install two new 144-kV single circuit transmission lines designated as 635PL7-1000 and 635PL7-1001 between FHEC-owned main and central substations.
- Construction of a new 144-kV ore preparation plant (OPP) substation 635EDD-1004 (AIES designation 1105S).
- Install two new 144-kV single circuit transmission lines designated as 635PL7-1002 and 635PL7-1003 between FHEC-owned main and OPP substations.
- Construction of two new 144-kV cogeneration substations (Cogen Substation 1 and Cogen Substation 2) that would provide services to the 170-MW power plant system. Install two new 144-kV single-circuit transmission lines designated as 635PL7-1004 and 635PL7-1005 between the 144-kV central substation and the 144-kV Cogen substations 1 and 2.