National Grid looking to refurbish existing 115-kV line in New York’s Adirondack Mountains

Niagara Mohawk d/b/a National Grid USA is proposing to refurbish and perform maintenance activities on its existing 11-mile Taylorville – Moshier #7 115-kV line, which begins at the Taylorville substation in Croghan, N.Y., and ends at the Moshier substation in Webb, N.Y.

The purpose of the “Taylorville – Moshier #7 115-kV Transmission Line Refurbishment Project” is to replace the original hardware, improve lightning protection and replace deteriorating structures, the company said in its “Part 102 Report,” filed in June with the state Public Service Commission (PSC).

National Grid seeks to replace five of the 99 existing structures and perform additional refurbishment work along the line including replacing the existing 3/8-inch high-strength shieldwire and replacing conductor and shieldwire hardware such as insulators.

The line was built in 1925 and has had three structure replacements since the original installation, the company added.

Results from a lightning-improvement evaluation of the line from 2007 indicated that various wood poles, the insulators, hardware, the steel conductor attachment poles and the shieldwire were in poor condition.

The project “will result in improved reliability of the electric system and assurance of the continued safety of the public,” the company said.

The line is located within the Adirondack Mountains physiographic region of the state and generally follows the Beaver River and associated Beaver River Hydro-Power stations from the Taylorville substation to the Moshier substation. The line consists of two sections with the Taylorville section running east from the Taylorville substation to the Soft Maple substation and the Moshiersection continuing east from the Soft Maple substation to the Moshier substation, the company added.

National Grid owns in fee about 35% of the right-of-way (ROW) associated with the line and has long-term easements of varying widths in connection with the remaining 65%. The maintained ROW width is 100 feet and the lands traversed by the project are rural in character and predominantly a mix of forested and open land.

All of the structures to be replaced are located outside of the Adirondack Park on the Taylorville section of the line.

Construction on the project is proposed to begin in September and finish by November.

The project requires the preparation of the Part 102 report as it will result in one structure height increase of more than 10 feet. However, the company added, no additional ROWs are required, there will be no increase in the number of structures on the ROW, the resulting structures will not carry more than two circuits and no substantial modification will be made to existing vegetative cover on the ROW.

National Grid also noted that environmental, cultural and community resources have been examined within the project area. For instance, 21 streams, including perennial, intermittent and ephemeral waterbodies, were identified along the project area. Also, 20 wetlands were identified within the project area and one adjacent area of a state-regulated wetland.

None of the five structures being replaced are located within a wetland. National Grid also said that of the 94 structures that will require maintenance work, three structures are located within the Adirondack Park Agency (APA) wetland boundaries and two are located within the 100-foot-wide regulated adjacent area of a New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) freshwater wetland.

No permanent impacts on wetlands or streams are anticipated as a result of the proposed project activities, the company added.

Also, significant impacts on the composition or distribution of the existing vegetative communities are not anticipated. The company further said that no impacts on state-listed species are anticipated in connection with the proposed project because soil disturbance and vegetative clearing will be minimal and confined to the existing ROW.

Additionally, no impacts to federally threatened or endangered species are anticipated from the proposed project.

Among other things, National Grid noted that it will prepare an application for an APA general permit 2002G-3AAR for certain minor regulated activities in APA-jurisdictional freshwater wetlands.

National Grid is a subsidiary of National Grid plc.

About Corina Rivera-Linares 2807 Articles
Corina Rivera-Linares, chief editor for TransmissionHub, has covered the U.S. power industry for the past 13 years. Before joining TransmissionHub, Corina covered renewable energy and environmental issues, as well as transmission, generation, regulation, legislation and ISO/RTO matters at SNL Financial. She has also covered such topics as health, politics and education for weekly newspapers and national magazines. She can be reached at corinar@pennwell.com.