FERC okays market-based rate authority for Campo Verde Solar

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on July 16 approved market-based rate authority for Campo Verde Solar LLC, which is developing a 139-MW solar project in California.

On May 23, Campo Verde Solar had filed an application for market-based rate authority with an accompanying tariff. The proposed market-based rate tariff provides for the sale of energy and capacity at market-based rates. Campo Verde also requested waivers commonly granted to similar market-based rate applicants.

Campo Verde will own and operate a 139-MW solar facility located in California within the California Independent System Operator (CAISO) market. All of the facility’s output is committed to a long-term power purchase agreement.

“Upon completion (anticipated in the Fall of 2013), the full output of the Solar Facility will be committed to San Diego Gas & Electric Company (‘SDG&E’) under a twenty-year agreement (‘PPA’),” said the company in the May 23 application. “In addition, Applicant intends to self-certify the Solar Facility for status as a Qualifying Facility (‘QF’) with the Commission prior to completion of construction.”

The company is affiliated with an additional 30.6 MW of generation located in the Public Service Co. of New Mexico balancing authority area, 50 MW of generation in the Nevada Power balancing authority area, and 2.5 MW of generation in the Duke Energy Carolinas balancing authority area.

Campo Verde is 90% owned by Southern Turner Renewable Energy LLC, which is wholly-owned by Southern Co. (NYSE: SO), and the remaining 10% non-managing interests are held by Turner Renewable Energy LLC.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.