New company buys 150-MW wind project in West Virginia

Mt. Storm Wind Force LLC, which controls an unbuilt wind farm project, told the West Virginia Public Service Commission on June 19 that there have been changes in its ownership structure.

Mt. Storm holds a 2002 certificate of convenience and necessity from the PSC to construct and operate a 150-MW wind power generating facility in Tucker and Grant counties, W.Va.

Until recently, 95% of Mt. Storm’s membership interests were owned by US Wind Force LLC (USWF), and the remaining 5% was owned by Edison Mission Mid-Atlantic Inc. (EMMA), an affiliate of independent power producer Edison Mission Energy. On May 8, those membership interests were transferred as follows:

  • USWF transferred all of its membership interests in Mt. Storm to EHI Development Fund, a California corporation.
  • Immediately after that conveyance occurred, EHI and EMMA each transferred their membership interests in Mt. Storm to Laurel Renewable Partners LLC, a Delaware limited liability company.
  • As a result of those transactions, Laurel Renewable now owns of 100% of the membership interests in Mt. Storm.

Under Laurel Renewable’s ownership, Mt. Storm said it will continue to be bound by the terms of the 2002 certificate. The mailing address for Laurel Renewable Partners is in Greensburg, Pa. The manager of Laurel Renewable Partners is David Friend.

Friend said in a June 20 interview with GenerationHub that Laurel Renewable and US Wind Force have certain backers in common, so the only remarkable thing about this ownership change is that Edison Mission Energy is now out of the ownership structure. The Mt. Storm project has run into a series of delays over the last few years and has not yet been built, but development efforts are ongoing, Friend noted. 

The US Wind Force website says about this project: “Imagine as many as 89 graceful wind turbines generating pollution-free energy in ‘wild and wonderful’ West Virginia. US Wind Force is developing a 150 MW project in Grant County, West Virginia near the Maryland border. The site is located on ridgelines, varying in altitude from 3,000 to 3,400 feet and spread over an area covering 10 contiguous square miles near the town of Mt. Storm. We have secured in excess of 10,000 acres of land for the project and continue to acquire additional property. US Wind Force through its subsidiary, Mt. Storm Wind Force, has invested considerable time and capital in laying the groundwork with the local community in the Grant County area. The project has the overwhelming support of the county commissioners and development authority, as well as local landowners and legislative officials.”

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.