Biomass-fired plant in Connecticut to go commercial in October

Plainfield Renewable Energy LLC (PRE) on June 20 asked that the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission accept various agreements related to a 37.5-MW biomass-fired power plant it is building in Connecticut.

It asked that FERC: accept for filing PRE’s proposed baseline market-based rate tariff; authorize PRE to sell energy, capacity, and certain ancillary services at market-based rates; designate PRE as a Category 1 seller in all regions except for the Northeast region; and grant PRE such waivers and blanket authorizations as the commission has granted to other sellers with market-based rate authorization.

PRE has a principal place of business in Plainfield, Conn. It is constructing and will own and operate a 37.5 MW (net) biomass-fueled facility on a 27-acre site in Plainfield. PRE has self-certified the project as a small power production qualifying facility (QF).

The project will interconnect to the transmission system controlled by ISO New England (ISO-NE) at the Fry Brook Substation owned by The Connecticut Light & Power (CL&P). PRE, CL&P and ISO-NE have executed a Large Generator Interconnection Agreement for the project. PRE expects initial synchronization of the project in September, with commercial operation to begin in October.

The project will generate electric power using wood from sources including construction and demolition debris, recycled pallets, and land clearing, and will consist of a staged gasification system close-coupled with one heat recovery boiler that will generate high-pressure steam to drive one steam turbine generator. PRE intends to operate the project as a baseload facility. PRE has entered into a 15-year power purchase agreement with CL&P, under which CL&P will purchase 80% of the project’s output. PRE intends to sell the remaining 20% into the ISO-NE market.

PRE is wholly owned by Plainfield Renewable Energy Holdings LLC, which is wholly owned by Plainfield Renewable Energy Owner LLC (known as PRE Owner). Liberty Renewable Energy LLC owns 80% of the equity interests in, and is the managing member of, PRE Owner. NuPower LLC owns the remaining 20% of the equity interests in PRE Owner. Two individuals, Daniel Donovan and J. Scott Guilmartin, each own 50% of the equity interests in NuPower. Donovan is the manager of NuPower.

Enova Energy Holdings LLC owns 50% of the equity interests in Liberty. Zachary Steele is the manager of Enova Holdings. Enova PA LLC owns the remaining 50% of the equity interests in Liberty. Steele also is the Manager of Enova PA. Enova Energy Group LLC owns 100% of the equity interests in Enova Holdings. Steele also is the manager of Enova Group.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.