FERC approves rate authority for 30-MW Nevada solar project

A Federal Energy Regulatory Commission official on May 14 approved the proposed market-based rate authority of Spectrum Nevada Solar LLC for its planned 30-MW power project in Nevada.

On March 15, Spectrum Nevada Solar had filed an application for market-based rate authority with an accompanying tariff. The proposed market-based rate tariff provides for the sale of energy and capacity at market-based rates. Spectrum requested waivers commonly granted to similar market-based rate applicants.

Spectrum will own and operate a 30-MW solar photovoltaic facility located in North Las Vegas, Nev., within Nevada Power’s balancing authority area. Spectrum is wholly owned by Southern Turner Renewable Energy LLC, and is affiliated with Apex Nevada Solar LLC, which owns a 20-MW solar generating facility in the Nevada Power balancing authority area.

Spectrum’s operations are conducted and managed by Southern Renewable Energy Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Southern Co. (NYSE: SO). Southern Renewable Energy holds a 90% membership interest in Southern Turner. Turner Renewable Energy LLC holds the remaining 10% membership interest in Southern Turner.

“The original construction schedule for the Solar Facility has been delayed,” the company noted in its March 15 FERC application for this authority. “However, in the past ten days Spectrum has been informed that construction progress has been substantial and, depending on the capability of the interconnecting utility to complete pending tasks to facilitate provision of back-feed energy to the site, it is possible for the construction activities to reach a point where testing and delivery of test energy could commence as soon as April 24, 2013. Initiation of such testing as soon as possible in the course of the Solar Facility’s development will assure project continuity and efficiency, and also provide more time for responding to testing results (if needed) in time to complete construction and achieve commercial operation on a timely basis.”

Spectrum added: “Upon completion (anticipated by June 30, 2013), the full output of the Solar Facility will be committed to Nevada Power under a long-term agreement. Applicant has self-certified the Solar Facility for status as a Qualifying Facility (‘QF’) in Docket No. QF12-493-001.”

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.