TIVERTON, ONTARIO–(Marketwire – Nov. 1, 2012) – Bruce Power’s groundbreaking Restart Project was officially completed on Oct. 31 with Unit 2 being declared commercially operational just two weeks after the unit first generated electricity.
“The Restart Project has been a monumental achievement for this company, and returns our site to its full operating potential,” said Duncan Hawthorne, Bruce Power’s President and CEO. “Our eight-unit site will provide a reliable source of low-cost electricity to over a quarter of Ontario’s homes, hospitals, schools and businesses for future generations, while also contributing to the phase-out of coal by the end of 2014.”
Ontario’s Long Term Energy Plan has earmarked 6,300 megawatts (MW) from the Bruce Power site to meet the province’s long-term energy needs, and to build a modern, clean electricity system. Returning Units 1 and 2 to service is a key element to achieve this. Units 1 and 2 had been out of service since the mid-1990s and only by returning these units to service could the site meet its full operating potential of eight units and 6,300 MW.
“Bruce Power should be congratulated on achieving this important milestone,” said Ontario Minister of Energy Chris Bentley. “6,300 megawatts from the Bruce Power Site is part of Ontario’s Long-Term Energy Plan to modernize our electricity system for the long-term and to phase-out coal by the end of 2014.”
The return to commercial operation of Unit 2 comes just over a week after Unit 1, which achieved this milestone on Oct. 22. Bruce Power’s Bruce B units and Unit 3 at Bruce A are also operating at full power, while Unit 4 at Bruce A is still undergoing a planned outage, which is expected to be completed later this year.