American Electric Power (NYSE: AEP) said in a presentation Nov. 13 at the annual EEI Financial Conference that it has a total of 7,582 MW of coal-fired capacity that is projected for emissions control retrofits or refueling with natural gas.
These units are spread out among AEP’s AEP Ohio, Appalachian Power, Indiana Michigan Power, Kentucky Power, Public Service Co. of Oklahoma and Southwestern Electric Power subsidiaries. The new technologies being planned include: baghouses for particulate control; activated carbon injection (ACI) for mercury; dry sorbent injection (DSI) and flue gas desulfurization (FGD) for SO2; and selective catalytic reduction (SCR) for NOx control.
Kentucky Power’s 800-MW Big Sandy Unit 2 is on the list as being under evaluation. The utility in May withdrew an application at the Kentucky Public Service Commission for approval of an FGD project for Big Sandy Unit 2, saying the economics of that project may have changed.
Here are the retrofit/refueling plans, by subsidiary. The power ratings are AEP’s share of any given unit, where applicable.
- Conesville Unit 5, 400 MW, ACI and DSI.
- Conesville Unit 6, 400 MW, ACI and DSI.
- Muskingum River Unit 5, 585 MW on coal, refuel to 578 MW gas unit.
- Clinch River Unit 1, 235 MW on coal, refuel to 242 MW gas unit.
- Clinch River Unit 2, 235 MW on coal, refuel to 242 MW gas unit.
Indiana Michigan Power:
- Tanners Creek Unit 4, 500 MW, DSI and ACI.
- One unnamed unit at two-unit Rockport plant, 1,310 MW, FGD and SCR.
- Big Sandy Unit 2, 800 MW, under evaluation.
Public Service Co. of Oklahoma:
- Oklaunion, 101 MW, FGD upgrade and ACI.
- Northeastern Unit 3, 470 MW, ACI, DSI and baghouse.
Southwestern Electric Power:
- Welsh Unit 1, 528 MW, ACI and DSI.
- Welsh Unit 3, 528 MW, ACI and DSI.
- Pirkey, 580 MW, FGD Upgrade.
- Dolet Hills, 262 MW, ACI and baghouse.
- Flint Creek, 264 MW, FGD and ACI.
Coal capacity targeted for retirement stands at 5,124 MW
AEP also has 5,124 MW of coal capacity projected for retirement through 2016. Those retirements by subsidiary are:
Appalachian Power: 1,270 MW in total, all in 2015. The targeted units are Glen Lyn 5-6, Clinch River 3, Sporn 1 and 3, and Kanawha River 1-2.
Indiana Michigan Power: 495 MW, all in 2015, all at Tanners Creek 1-3.
AEP Ohio: 2,088 MW, with Conesville 3 in 2012 and the rest in 2015. The rest are Muskingum River 1-4, Picway 5, Sporn 2 and 4, Kammer 1-3 and Beckjord.
Kentucky Power: 278 MW in 2015, all at Big Sandy 1.
Southwestern Electric Power: 528 MW in 2014 at Welsh 2.
Public Service Co. of Oklahoma: 465 MW in 2016 at Northeastern 4.