Compliance Energy names coal veteran as operations v.p.

Canada’s Compliance Energy Corp., which is developing a new underground coal mine in British Columbia, said Oct. 10 that Stephen Ellis has been hired as Vice President, Operations, for subsidiary Compliance Coal Corp.

Compliance Coal holds a 60% interest in over 31,000 hectares of coal rights on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, where the company is focused on developing the Raven mine. The remaining 40% is owned by I-Comox Coal Inc. (a subsidiary of Itochu Corp. of Japan) and by LG International Investments (Canada) Ltd. (a subsidiary of LG International Corp. of South Korea).

Ellis began his coal mining career, spanning more than 30 years, in the United Kingdom where he worked in both operational and technical roles in several underground coal mines before relocating to Australia in 2006 to Rio Tinto‘s Kestrel mine. In late 2010, he moved to the Pike River coal mine in New Zealand as Production Manager and then as Mine Manager.

“We are delighted to have Stephen join our team,” said John Tapics, Compliance President and CEO. “His extensive experience in underground coal mining operations in multiple jurisdictions is a rare commodity. We will be able to draw on his experience and knowledge to begin to build and train a team of other professionals as we advance the Raven Project.”

The British Columbia Environmental Assessment Office said June 7 that it has approved the Application Information Requirements/Environmental Impact Statement Guidelines for the Raven project. This key document specifies the information that must be contained in Compliance Coal’s application for an Environmental Assessment Certificate.

The Raven project is located near Buckley Bay on eastern Vancouver Island. The mine would tap about 30.1 million tonnes of coal and rock (raw coal) from an underground mine over a 16-year period. The current mine plan calls for the development of various components, including: portal and underground mine; coal processing plant; and run-of-mine (ROM) coal, processed coal and clean coal stockpiles. The coal would be transported via truck from the mine site to Port Alberni to be loaded to ship for export. The mine would produce about 1.9 million tonnes per year of ROM coal.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.