New company takes over Indiana coal permits

On Dec. 30, the Indiana Department of Environmental Management approved the transfer of a 1997 air permit for a coal mine and prep plant located near Spurgeon, Ind., from Indiana Land & Mineral Co. LLC to Fuel Streamers of Indiana LLC.

The permitted operation is in Pike County. The air permit, known as a Source Specific Operating Agreement, puts a cap of up to 5 million tons per year of coal shipped offsite, but that is a cap based on a statutory requirement and is not necessarily reflective of the site’s actual production. The IDEM approval letter is addressed to William Harrington at a Fuel Streamers of Indiana office in Gary, Ind.

The U.S. Office of Surface Mining database shows Fuel Streamers of Indiana as first registered with that agency on Dec. 14, 2011. It holds some old permits in Indiana formerly held by Old Ben Coal Co., Kindill Mining Inc., LCC Indiana LLC and Indiana Land & Mineral. One permit mentioned in OSM data is called Pike #1-Ancillary Area.

OSM data shows that the CEO of Fuel Streamers of Indiana is Phil Rivkin and the COO is William Harrington. The 100% owner of Fuel Streamers of Indiana is Fuel Streamers Inc. OSM data shows that Fuel Streamers Inc. is headquartered in Houston, Tex., and that Rivkin owns 99% of the company, with B. Burny owning the other 1%.

Kindill Mining is a Larry Addington-created company associated with Addington’s long-bankrupt Horizon Natural Resources that in the 1990s acquired two Old Ben Coal strip mines in Indiana. Those mines later wound up through a bankruptcy sale with Lexington Coal, the parent of LCC Indiana LLC. Indiana Land & Mineral is a company that later bought at least parts of these properties from Lexington Coal. Indiana Land & Mineral is owned by American Metals & Coal International, a prominent international coal trading company, and T&T Washing Co., OSM data shows.

The two old strip mines, at one time called Old Ben #1 and Old Ben #2, later renamed Pike #1 and Pike #2, were major suppliers of coal to mostly in-state electric utilities.

About Barry Cassell 20414 Articles
Barry Cassell is Chief Analyst for GenerationHub covering coal and emission controls issues, projects and policy. He has covered the coal and power generation industry for more than 24 years, beginning in November 2011 at GenerationHub and prior to that as editor of SNL Energy’s Coal Report. He was formerly with Coal Outlook for 15 years as the publication’s editor and contributing writer, and prior to that he was editor of Coal & Synfuels Technology and associate editor of The Energy Report. He has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.